David Daley Excerpt, Divided Results: Voting and Partisan Gerrymandering
On Friday, September 15th, members of the Murphy Institute community gathered for a discussion about gerrymandering. In light of the Supreme Court’s decision to hear Gill v. Whitford, a case that deals with the legality of partisan gerrymandering, this panel explored the history of gerrymandering and the effects of recent changes in technology, data mining, and dark money. In this video clip, David Daley, author of Ratf**ked: The True Story Behind the Secret Plan to Steal America’s Democracy, discusses the dramatic new scope and impact of gerrymandering following the 2010 Census.
You can watch the full panel here.
- David Daley, author, Ratf**ked: The True Story Behind the Secret Plan to Steal America’s Democracy and former Editor in chief of Salon.com
- Lauren Jones, National Civil Rights Counsel, Anti-Defamation League
- Michael Li, Senior Counsel for the Brennan Center’s Democracy Program
- Deuel Ross, Assistant Counsel at the NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund
- Jerry G. Vattamala, Director, Democracy Program, Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund (AALDEF)
- Moderator: John Mollenkopf, Distinguished Professor of Political Science, CUNY Graduate School and consortial faculty, Murphy Institute
To stay informed about upcoming events at the Murphy Institute, sign-up for our emails!